Russia – Skiing in Siberia“Siberia, the land of mountains waiting to be discovered”
Top five reasons to choose Russia – Skiing in Siberia
- Easy access, amazing terrain & scenery
Our best skiing terrain is reachable within a short approach time and everywhere you’ll be surrounded by beautiful Siberian scenery.
- Powder guaranteed
Where else do you have guaranteed powder skiing…? There is no other type of snow in Siberia.
- Small Group Heli Skiing
Only 4 guests per group and per guide, and max 2 groups per helicopter.
- Safety first
We have the highest safety standards and most experienced heliski guides
- Unique Siberia experience
Experience the gastronomy and culture of Siberia
Skiing in Siberia Quick Facts
Location: Siberia is the heart of Russia, a vast territory with thousands of kilometers of mountain ranges. Our lodge and helipad are situated in Novosnezhnaya village, on the shore of Lake Baikal.
There are few flights per day from Moscow to Irkutsk (IKT). We recommend Aeroflot or S7 flights with arrival time around 8-9 AM. Upon your arrival we’ll have breakfast in Irkutsk and drive to Novosnezhnaya village (around 3 hours) where our lodge situated.
On arrival we meet the guides, have safety briefing and afternoon rest… maybe with a walk along Lake Baikal or a classic Siberian Banya. Generally we do not heliski on the day of arrival, but depending on weather forecast it might happen.
Mountain Ranges: Khamar-Daban
Average Snowfall: 12 meters of snow annual winter
Runs: About 100 established runs, and continually exploring to add another 100. With the frequent snowfall there are always fresh runs.
Run Length: Our runs are from 400 to 1000 vertical meters with slopes between 25 to 40 degrees.
Ski Terrain: Khamar-Daban mountain range has great tree skiing as well as beautiful alpine bowls.
The terrain is variable and has everything to satisfy the wishes of good skiers and snowboarders – long open lanes through the trees, pillows, steep open fields, tiny couloirs and much, much more.
Average Runs per Day: On an average day we ski 10-12 runs.
Grouping: Up to 2 groups with 4 guests each per helicopter (semi-private program). Each group has 1 guide plus a tail guide when needed.
We use two models of Eurocopter helicopters – AS350 B3 or EC130 T2, which are the most common model used for heliski operations globally. It fits 4 guests, 2 guides and pilot.
Our lodge is located in the village Novosnezhnaya, on the shore of Lake Baikal and just in few flight minutes from the mountains. We stay in brand new cozy family hotel, built in 2017 with authentic design, spacious lounge and dining room with mountain views. Most guests’ stay in twin rooms, with double occupancy, but single or double rooms with king-size beds are also available. All rooms are spacious, warm and quiet.
After the days of powder skiing and snowboarding, a soak in the Siberian Spa is a must! There are few types of Banya’s (traditional Russian bathhouse, a bit similar to the Western Turkish baths), Having warmed up enough, you leave the steam room for a break and a refreshing beverage of choice. Too cool down you either pour cold water over yourself from a tub, or follow the Siberian tradition and jump straight into the snow. We also have an outdoor wooden hot tub with a mountain view, massage room and a traditional Russian tea ceremony.
Wi-Fi is available throughout the lodge.
We recommend that you bring all your own gear. That said, we do have several pairs of powder skis for rent. Contact us for details.
Guides and Safety
Professionalism and the highest standard of service, we are proud to maintain the highest standards of safety possible. Each of our Guides is highly experienced, having passed a strict process of education, training and exams. We are working under the standards of ACMG (Association of Canadian Guides), RMGA (Russian Mountain Guide Association and Canadian Avalanche Association.
We provide avalanche safety gear: transceiver Pieps DSP, probe, shovel, avalanche backpack Scott AlpRide.
Due of the wild nature of the backcountry terrain, we ask our guests to meet a certain level of fitness and skiing ability. To join our groups, you should be:
- Intermediate or higher level of skiing/boarding, including in deep-snow condition
- Healthy and in good physical shape
Skiing in Siberia’s operating season is from November to January.
Like in all other heliski destinations on earth, Baikal Lake also have days with strong snowfall and poor visibility when flying is impossible.
We offer following activities on down days:
- Skiing the “Gora Sobolinaya” ski area that have 3 chair lifts, 500 vertical meters, piste runs (not groomed during heavy snowfalls, so possibilities for powder skiing are still good if we are grounded because of heavy snowfall and poor viz.
- Dog sledging.
- Snowmobile riding in the nearest mountain valleys (depends on snow coverage).
- Excursions to historical and ethnography places, including Gulag
- Visit to a unique and special Banya on the shore of the Lake Baikal, with opportunity to jump into the lake straight from steam room!
What Your Package Includes
- 6 days heliskiing.
- 10 hours of helicopter flight time per 8 persons (two groups by 4 persons).
- Experienced and internationally certified heliski guides.
- 6 nights’ accommodation in Baikal Heliski Lodge (double occupancy). Single rooms are available for extra surcharge.
- Full use of Lodge Spa facilities (massage is an extra surcharge).
- Hotel in Irkutsk, 1 night on the way back (double occupancy).
- All meals in Baikal Heliski lodge (breakfast, mountain lunch, aprés ski soup and snacks, dinner).
- All ground transportation in 4×4 vehicles.
- Safety equipment: transceiver, probe, shovel, and avalanche backpack.
- International and domestic airfares.
- Travel insurance/travel cancellation insurance.
- Meals in Irkutsk.
- Wine and spirits.
- Activities beside the program.
- Helicopter transportation to the lodge (by request).
- Single rooms supplement (heliski lodge and hotel in Irkutsk) – 490 Euro per week.
- Extra flight hours – 1950 Euro per flight hour (divided by the number of guests flying).
Rates season 2020-2021
Check the price list here.